Monday, January 12, 2009

Sweet Dreams are Made of These

I'm not prepared. I haven't done the training. It's race day. 2.4 mile swim. 112 mile bike. 26.2 mile run.

The race starts and I'm still messing with my stuff in transistion. Putting my bike together. I'm freaking out, man. My longest run is under 12 miles. I haven't rode my bike more than 20. I keep seeing this basket full of eggs, wait, golf balls, next to my transition bag. I wanted to be first out of the water, but the girls are exiting and I'm not even in yet.

Omigod.

Ooomigod.

Omigod omigod omigod, I AM NOT READY.

I awoke in dripping sweat, kicking the sheets off my body. I had this feeling before. The feeling of unpreparedness. The worry, the fright. The panic. It's all a dream. It's all a dream. But, it's kinda not. I'm just starting to begin my training for Redman. My dream was my fears about the race, and where I'm at now with my fitness and training. Had I tried to set out for 140.6 miles in my sleep last night, I surely would have failed. Your dreams prove how much control your mind can have over your race, and I do not want to have that feeling.

I emailed the hopefully-soon-to-be-coach lady: Do you still have room for me? When can we start?

Becase, well, things may be closer than they appear.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Funny....reminds me that I actually showed up to the Shawnee Mission triathlon with one bike shoe and one golf shoe. *grin*

Andrea said...

Is it only 8 months away? Geez! I better get crackin' too! :)

But really...IT'S EIGHT MONTHS AWAY! That's plenty of time IF, (and that's a big IF) you stay with it this year.

Let me know if you need someone to light a fire under you. You know I will!!!!