Tuesday, February 2, 2010

What's All This Training For?

Really, I'm training for something, or the cause is lost. Why else do I swim, bike and run? What fun is there, if it's not a competition?



No, I'm not looking for an age group win, or a faster split. However, if all I'm doing is "working on fitness" there's nothing to focus on. I need a tangible goal. A race date. In this case, a delivery date, but it's all the same.



I missed both Tuesday and Thursday of KMA last week. Work and out of town visitors kind of got in the way. However, I did make my runs and swims.



Since I actually did sign up for a race , I have devised a training plan to keep me moving. Mostly very short runs of 2-4 miles, and a few "builds" of 5-6. I mean, it's a 10k.


Yesterday morning started out with a little 2 mile run on the treadmill, strike that, DREADmill. I despise this thing. But, my long winter run tights are now a smidge (okay, WAY) too small and I really don't want to run in sub freezing temps. It was supposed to be a 2.5 mile run, but considering I always get the wobbly treadmill (Damn you, #9!) I gave up and got off. I always feel like I have to work so much harder to run on treadmill. Maybe it's focus, but it never feels relaxing.


After I got pissed enough to quit the black conveyor belt of death, I headed to the pool. My usual swim partner Benny wasnt around (I swim with a 13 year old kid, seriously.), so I just put in some time on my own. I wore my HR monitor in the water for the first time this season, or whatever you want to call it, and was sorely disappointed with the results. I usually warm up with 10 x 100's on the 1:30. Easy swim and about 10 seconds rest. Mix in some backstroke. Well, after the first three easy 100's touch about the 1:18-1:20, I looked at my watch. My eyes probably bulged out of my head. 156!? One. Fifty. Six!? No effing way. I'm swimming easy. I could carry on a conversation with lane mates if needed. What the Fvck, Chuck? So, I back down a bit. The next three were 1:20, 1:21, 1:23. Check the watch. One-Five-Oh heeellll no.


Remember this little piece of advise from the doc? "Stay under 145." Looky here, it wasn't easy for me to do while on the dreadmill, but at a whopping pace of 12:35 I could keept my HR at 143. On the bike, I spin easy. Very easy. But I can still modify where I need to. Now, I'm in the water. MY place. Where things come very very easily. I'm practically in a LAYING posistion. How the hell is my HR creeping like that? Whatever. Of course, when I get mad, I want to swim harder. Faster. Pull stronger. Not the answer. I gave up on my warm up, and went into what would be the pussiest main set ever.


Pull a 500. Look at hr about every fifth flip turn. See HR around 150. Get pissed.
5 x 100 IM. Give up on 3rd one because breastroke makes me tired.
Sit on side of pool deck with belly looking up laughing at me.
Roll eyes.
Exit pool.


Remind myself what I'm training for.


For a the best damn delivery the OB/GYN has ever seen, duh. And the healthiest baby. And fastest postpartum weight loss.


And to get my ass back.

No comments: