Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fashion Clean Out and Clean Up

I'm not sure whose song I prefer: Fashion, David Bowie style ("We are the goon squad and we're coming to town!"), or Fashion, Lady GaGa version ("I need some new stilettos, can't walk down the street in those!").




Doesn't matter though. I do love me some fashion. Not that I show it. I don't have the cash to spend on the designer labels, or rather I'd prefer to spend it on sporting goods, cars, and home accessories (and a OB/GYN labor and delivery bill).




Well, tonight is the night where I preform my semi-annual closet clean out. I do this about once every year to two years. Usually it's tossing ratty pieces or things I don't love anymore. Often times I hang on to t-shirts and jeans that I really don't wear but think I might again. Since I have a higher purpose of this clean out- to rid the spare room (AKA my giant walk in closet) of all things (seriously, this will be the baby's room so I have to get EVERYTHING gone), I am doing what I am considering a Holistic Cleanse.




Cleanses are usually done with foods or supplements to rid your system of toxins and waste. Well, this closet and dresser seriously need some ex-lax to get things going.




I will pair down a rather large closet filled to the brim of items that are poorly placed and rarely worn, and a huge dresser filled with size 30-32 men's board shorts (OMG, I used to wear those!?) and race t-shirts to the bare necessities.




I am using Tim Gunn's 10 Essential Elements to lay the base of my wardrobe, well, what's left of it. This will pretty much outline my work and dress clothing. I'll keep the majority of my workout clothes, and the 2 pairs of pre-pregnancy jeans I like the best.




As for the rest, we'll, that shit's gotta go. I'm going to need to do some shopping, which my husband so graciously agreed to do with me. I need to buy one nice pair of preggo jeans and a pair of work slacks. I can make do with a couple pairs of yoga pants and a top or two. I truly LOVE spring and summer dresses, especially long flowing ones, so I can pick up a couple that I can sport now and post baby belly.




I really won't have much left for when I get back to a normal size (which better be by November), so I will need to purchase items that fit as I go. Really, I have a lot of clothes that were great when I bought them... two or three years ago, and now I need to toss them, knocked up or not.




What I will NOT be doing, however, is spending $165.00 on maternity cut off jean shorts. Seriously? WTF?

1 comment:

D said...

No more talk about when you're going to lose the baby weight! It will happen when it happens. Ok, lecture over :)

I won't even buy four pairs of jeans for $165, nevermind 1 pair of cutoffs. Ridic.