Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Functional Strength Training Winter Attempt #1


Gail at Gorilla Multisport sent me this great packet on Functional Strength Training for the triathlete last week. Tuesdays are late start work days for me, so I decided I would start it today.


I got on the treadmill and did a little warm up for 10 min at 9:52 mile/pace (FYI For some reason I just run WAY faster on a treadmill. This doesn't feel even CLOSE to warm up pace on the road). While I was running away one of the trainers, whom also works for me as a swim lesson instructor and water fit teacher came over and picked up my packet. He flipped through it, not seeming all that impressed (um, whatever, this is for triathletes, not body builders, duh). After I stretched and completed my 2 sets of 12 walking lunges with the med ball, he came back over and said something to the effect of Hey, why don't you let me put my personal twist on this. Fine, it's free personal training, so, whatev.


Some how, instead of finding myself happily doing 1-arm rows, I'm now standing on top of an upside down bosu ball, squatted, and doing 1-arm rows with the cable machine. The workout only progress to harder from there. V-twists with the med ball on top of a fit ball. Step ups and burpees, pushups on the fitball- that actually was directly from Gail's packet and was H-A-R-D. The push ups, planks, and tables, all mostly Gail's directive, but with Nate's "Don't be a pussy" speech.


I


Effing


Hurt.


I will continue on with the GMS Functional Strength Training, but, with out The Nate as I don't want to tear/hurt/harm anything, and this PT school student leaves town to get back to class shortly, allowing me to gradually work up to things as I should.


However, I see what a long way I have to go. But hey, it's still not even Official Training Season, right?


No comments: