Monday, March 2, 2009

Product Review- Finis Lap Counter


One of my masters swimmers recently made a purchase of a Finis lap counter. Tim loves it, but I wasn't so sure. If you do open turns, then this product is fabulous if you're looking for fairly accurate splits and lap counting.

However, when dangling under water... not so much. The lap counter is connected to 2 metal poles with a wire hook that hangs over the gutter. It's not super sturdy, so the wires loosen every time you hit the touch pad (the main face of the lap counter).

I was trying to be gentle when turning, I'm no pansy and when I flip my feet hit the wall HARD. A couple times I was concered I may have, um, injured the counter. About every third turn I would tap the counter at an odd angle, which would send it scooting up the side of the wall, and into the gutter. That meant that 50 yards later I would be fishing the counter out to reattach it to the wall.

I think it's a good product, and fitness swimmers will probably get the most out of the Finis lap counter. Those doing flip turns will probably not enjoy the product as much as others, and, if you're a trained competitive swimmer, you used to counting the laps in your head, so you don't really *need* this device.

It was fun to play with in my 30 min easy swim, and it accurately logged all my laps execpt two- I either missed the touch pad, or I tapped it too lightly on the side.

If you are just starting swimming, or need a way to remember your laps- this is a great device for you. The rest of us will just keep repeating numbers in our heads and taking splits on our wtaches.

No comments: